29 January 2007

Gramma's a Blogger!

So, While I was home in Wilmington this past weekend, my mother delivered to me a copy of my Great Grandmother's near 150 page autobiography. Amazing.

My grandmother isn't anyone super special to the public, she isn't famous, she isn't political, she' is my Great Grandmother. She is however pretty special to my family.

Think, how much do you know about the lives of your parents, grand parents, great grand parents? Do you know anything? I know very little, much of the things I do know are the little positive smiling anecdotes told around the table on Thanksgiving. However, I'm not aware of the struggles, growth, and change in their lives.

My Great Grandmother took the time to write out a collection of thoughts that describe her life and her experience. It is very much a collection of thoughts that were picked here and there, collected in non-flowing (but somewhat sequential) paragraphs, with varying amounts of detail. Still, it is amazing. My Great Grandmother touches on the happy moments, sad, horrifying, and struggles. She was a teacher and described, in great detail all of her favorite students, her battles with people, and her love for God. In the end she even provides a family tree dating back to my GREAT GREAT GREAT Grandparents.

I feel that people are loosing their connection with their family history. Where do you come from, what are you made of? These are questions many can not answer. We are so about the individual, we forget how much our family and society really shapes us!

My great grandmother created her version of a blog. A semi-sequential collection of thoughts and experiences. I hope that my blog captures my life's trials and successes as beautifully as her creation collected hers.

Well Done.

No comments: